Domestic Abuse

Domestic abuse can happen between couples, parents and their children, siblings or any other relations or people who live together

Domestic abuse is much more common than may be realised. It of course includes violence but may be in the form of other actions that can be very damaging both physically and emotionally. It could be in the form of intimidation, threats of violence, threatening children, controlling someone's movements or behaviour, verbally or psychologically abusing them, controlling finances and denying a person access to money.

What can be done?

Our experienced and understanding Solicitors are committed to helping the victims of domestic abuse, explaining the immediate steps that you can take to obtain protection from further abuse.

In some circumstances a warning letter from us can be enough to make someone realise that their behaviour is not acceptable. In other cases an application to the Court is necessary to protect the victim and any children.

A Court can order either or both of the following:

  • A 'Non-Molestation Order' to prevent the abuse (or anyone acting on their instructions) from using or threatening violence, harassing or intimidating the victim and their children. It can also prevent the abuser from contacting the victim. It is possible to apply to the Court for a Non-Molestation Order without giving notice to the abuser if doing so could put the victim at risk. Breach of a Non-Molestation Order is an arrestable offence.
  • An 'Occupation Order' to deal with the occupation of the home. It could, for example, define occupation rights in the home including exclusion of the abuser not only from the home but also from an area surrounding it. The Court may also make Orders as to the payment of the rent or mortgage.